English Oak Joined Armchair, circa 1660, of good colour. This Chair has all the hallmarks of one constructed in East Devon both in terms of the colour and quality of the timber used in its construction, as well as the carved decoration used to ornament the chair-back, and the front and side rails. This profuse carved decoration is quite common on furniture from the Ottery St Mary area of East Devon. It has running “S” scrolls on both the front seat rail and the upper and lower framing rails of the back panel. This Panel has five flower heads set dramatically one at the centre of the two large inverted “S” scrolls and the others within them, and in design terms is most striking. Despite its losses and repairs this is a remarkable and rare survival for a chair of this quality from this part of East Devon. The rear stretcher is lost, the two side stretchers whilst possibly original had clearly been originally intended for some other piece. There are also some “fill its” in one arm rest and to the front of the seat.