Pair of Porcelain and Ormolu Urns by Dihl & Guérhard
Pair of Porcelain and Ormolu Urns by Dihl & Guérhard
Pair of Porcelain and Ormolu Urns by Dihl & Guérhard
Pair of Porcelain and Ormolu Urns by Dihl & Guérhard
Pair of Porcelain and Ormolu Urns by Dihl & Guérhard
Pair of Porcelain and Ormolu Urns by Dihl & Guérhard

MANUFACTURE DE DIHL ET GUERHARD Also known as MANUFACTURE DU DUC D'ANGOULÊME (UNTIL FRENCH REVOLUTION) (1781-c.1824)

Pair of Porcelain and Ormolu Urns by Dihl & Guérhard

c. 1805 France

Offered by Thomas Coulborn & Sons

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Views
267
Enquiries
2
Favourites
2
Mounts by Pierre-Philippe Thomire.

Two tapered ‘fuseau’ vases. Each with an acanthus and anthemion decorated top. With scroll handles and satyr mask terminals. The ‘fond ecaille’ (faux tortoiseshell) bodies set on a square plinth base.

‘Fuseau’ vases: The shape of the ‘fuseau’ vase was typical of the neo-classicism of Napoleon’s reign. Derived from the shape of ancient amphora, to which a foot has been added. The vase rests on a base of gilt bronze and consists of three separate parts: neck; body; and foot. Ormolu fitments between the neck and the body; and between the body and the foot, join the parts together.

Comparators: A similar pair of Empire vases by Dihl & Guérhard were sold in Christie’s ‘Villa Diodati House Sale’ in Geneva on 20th September 1996, lot 135. These vases are of similar height – 19.25 inches (49cm) – and are signed ‘Dihl’ on the base.

These vases demonstrate how Dihl & Guérhard made porcelain which imitated marble, and used carved and gilded bronze for the ornamentation of amphora-shaped vases. This pair of vases is also flanked by the same satyrs’ heads and palm leaves as appear on our pair of vases. With the same decoration as our pair of vases – two scrolling handles – and with a flared neck decorated with acanthus leaves. The pedestal is mounted on a square base.

A pair of similar French ‘fuseau’ vases were made by Dihl & Guérhard in circa 1805, and were decorated to simulate hardstone, with shaped handles with satyrs’ masks. The ormolu necks of these vases demonstrate fine workmanship and retain the original mercury gilding. The fuseau vase was very popular at Sèvres under Empress Josephine, Napoleon’s first wife. Another vase of the same model, in black porcelain, can be found in The Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg.

Christoph Dihl, and the firm of Dihl et Guérhard, reached its apogee around this time and, as Dihl himself was a chemist, this type of porcelain decoration simulating hardstone would have been of particular interest to their most discerning of clients. As a result, it is possible that these vases were made by him. Dihl was particularly fond of this type of satyr mask, and various vases made for Napoleon have similar decorative masks.

A pair of vases with a faux tortoiseshell porcelain body, dated circa 1785, and with mounts attributed to Pierre-Philippe Thomire sold at Christie’s ‘Taste of the Royal Court, Important French Furniture & Works of Art from a Private Collection’ sale on 9th July 2015, lot 3. The faux tortoiseshell porcelain bodies are similar to those on our pair of vases.

Dihl et Guérhard porcelain factory (1781-1828): In 1781, Christoph Dihl (1752-1830), Antoine Guérhard (d.1793) and his wife Louise-Françoise-Madelaine Croizé (1751-1831) established a factory under the protection of the Duc d’Angoulême (1775-1844). This Royal patronage allowed the factory to manufacture coloured and gilt porcelain which had been monopolised by Sèvres since 1766. It operated first at Rue de Bondy, Paris moving in 1789 to Rue du Temple.

It is interesting to note that the 'Portrait of Christophe Dihl' by Etienne-Charles Leguay (Serves, Cite de la Ceramique) appears to incorporate a vase with very similar glazing suggesting it must have been an object he was particularly pleased with.

The factory enjoyed success which continued after the Revolution. The factory suffered financial difficulties in the early 19th Century eventually leading to its closure in 1828.

Pierre-Philippe Thomire (1751 – 1843): Pierre-Philippe Thomire was the most eminent Parisian gilt metal manufacturer and gilder of the early nineteenth century. He supplied finely chased mounts to leading Parisian ébénistes for furniture and clock cases; and supplied the Sèvres porcelain factory with mounts.

Thomire trained as a sculptor, before deciding to become a bronzier. He received his training in Pierre Gouthière’s workshop, before setting up his own business in 1775. Thomire began assisting Jean-Claude-Thomas Duplessis, the artistic director of the Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory. After Duplessis’ death in 1783, Thomire took over his job, designing and fitting ormolu mounts at the Sèvres factory. In 1804, Thomire bought the business of a ‘marchand-mercier’ – Martin-Eloi Lignereux. The company employed a large workforce in a workshop at Rue Boucherat, and a showroom at Rue Taitbout, which allowed him to exhibit and sell furniture, Sèvres porcelain and decorative objects which he produced in his own workshops. He was much patronised by Napoleon, and became ‘Ciseleur de l’Empereur’ (Engraver to the Emperor) in 1809.

Thomire retired in 1823, at the age of seventy-two but continued to work as a sculptor, exhibiting regularly at the Salon until 1834.
Dimensions
Height 49.00 cm (19.29 inches)
Width 17.00 cm (6.69 inches)
Depth 14.00 cm (5.51 inches)
Stock Code
6520
Medium
Porcelain and Ormolu.
Thomas Coulborn & Sons

Thomas Coulborn & Sons
Vesey Manor
64 Birmingham Road
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
B72 1QP
England

Contact Details
+44 (0)121-354 3974
-
+44 (0)7941 252299
-
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details