Pair of Regency Cut Glass Candlestick Lustres attributable to John Blades

Pair of Regency Cut Glass Candlestick Lustres attributable to John Blades

c. 1810 England

Offered by Freshfords Fine Antiques

Sold
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
Each lustre has a radial cut base, diamond cut column base and a granulated rim. They are hung with round icicle drops each with three flat round spangles.

John Blades opened his showrooms at 5 Ludgate Hill in 1783 and remained there until his death in 1829. Blades was unusual in that he used an outside designer, the well known architect J. B. Papworth. They were also the first English glass company to open a branch in India (Calcutta). By the time of his marriage in 1789 he had been appointed Cut Glass Manufacturer to George III and was known as 'the great glass man of Ludgate Hill'.
There are minor chips to the drops, and the drops and lustres have been re-pinned with gilt pins.
Dimensions
Height 40.00 cm (15.75 inches)
Width 10.00 cm (3.94 inches)
Stock Code
F440
Freshfords Fine Antiques

Freshfords Fine Antiques
Bath
Somerset

+44 (0)1225 722111
+44 (0)7720 838877
Favourite Dealer
Request Dealer Alerts
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2007
Members of
View Full Details