To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Paul Buhre grande sonnerie gorge carriage clock"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Paul Buhre chose Drocourt to make the clock for him, whom Allix and Bonnert in their book on carriage clocks, describe as “makers of superb carriage clocks, predominantly decorative and always attractive in appearance.”.
The clock has grande sonnerie striking and repeating and there is a selection in the base for Full Striking/ silent and striking. Repeating is also provided and an alarm, with the days of the week and month displayed below the main dial. The standard of the engraving is particularly fine and this is accentuated by the fire-gilding, which is still in excellent order and,
because of the thickness of the gold it provides, allows the high points to be burnished.
On the oval top glass is engraved the crown and insignia (his crossed initials in Russian) and this is surrounded by an engraved panel. The main dial, which is signed by Paul Buhre, and the subsidiary dials, are also surrounded by an engraved and gilded mask. The sides and back of the case are glazed and it and the movement are numbered 17467.
The travelling box is remarkable in that it is made to a much higher standard than usual, being covered in pigs-skin (something we have never seen before) and has an adjustable strap. It has the owners crown, in solid silver, on top and there are signs that it would also have had his matching initials there. Even more surprising is that it is also provided with an outer canvas carrying case to protect it and even this bears the crown and insignia.
Ht with/without handle. 7"/ 5.5". (17.8/14cms).
The Buhre Watch Company, headed by Paul Buhre, started trading in St Petersburg, where there was quite a colony of Swiss clock-makers, in 1815 and this was subsequently run by his son Pavel. In due course they gained the title of “Official purveyor to the Imperial Court” and to cope with the increasing demand for their products founded a factory in Le Locle and also opened stores in Moscow and Kiev.
In 1917 the Buhres had to move their business to Le Locle in Switzerland, where they continued to prosper.
|Height||17.80 cm||(7.01 inches)|
|External Height||14.00 cm||(5.51 inches)|