To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Portrait of a Lady c.1740; Circle of Allan Ramsay."
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
This charming, fine quality portrait of an attractive young woman of the early Georgian period is reminiscent of the early work of Allan Ramsay, probably the finest Scottish portraitist of his time.
Painted within a fashionable feigned stone oval the sitter looks out in an almost enquiring manner.
This beautiful portrait has had a chequered career; when purchased it was unframed and had heavy and noticeable restoration.
It went to a noted restorer/conservator who, upon removing the old varnish and overpaint discovered severe disfiguring damages. (See image 8).
Over a period of 14 months the portrait was relined, repaired, restored and conserved, plus a high quality hand carved Georgian frame of the right size...a work of art in its own right..was found;layers of old, inappropriate paint were removed and the frame regilded.
The painting is now in excellent and ready to hang condition with little sign of its previous distressed condition...in a certain light faint traces of the damage can be seen. (See images 9 & 10). Really a remarkable rescue of a beautiful artwork.
ALLAN RAMSAY 1713–1784.
Ramsay was born in Edinburgh. His father, also Allan Ramsay, was an important Scottish poet from whom the younger Ramsay inherited a tradition of strong nationalistic pride. Ramsay junior was instrumental in formulating a native Scottish style of painting, as his father had done for poetry.
Ramsay studied in London at St Martin's Lane Academy and at Hans Hysing's studio, before going to Italy. He worked from 1736 to 1738 at the French Academy in Rome under Francesco Imperiali and under Francesco Solimena in Naples. On his return he settled in London, although he continued to be active in Edinburgh. Between 1754 and 1757 he was in Italy, mostly in Rome. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1743. During his prime period he had a virtual monopoly on court painting. He became the official painter to George III in 1760, and Principal Painter-in-Ordinary in 1767. His assistants included David Martin, Alexander Nasmyth and Philip Reinagle.
|External Height||38.00 inch||(96.52 cm)|
|External Width||33.00 inch||(83.82 cm)|