To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Portrait of John Browne of Norton Court"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
This picture is one of three from Tandridge. The 8th. Earl of Cottenham (died Otober 26th. 2000) was married to Sarah Lombard-Hobson, only daughter of Captain Samuel Richard Le Hunte Lombard-Hobson
Captain Samuel Richard Le Hunte Lombard-Hobson was invested as a Commander, Royal Victorian Order (C.V.O.).1 He was invested as an Officer, Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.).1 He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the Royal Navy.
Research indicates that John Browne was related to an alderman and Mercer in Gloucester, who later became its MP for periods stretching from 1614 up to 1635. He was also Mayor of Gloucester 1610 and 1621. He finally died in 1639 and the sitter is believed to be a relative of his. Norton Court was situated to the North West of Gloucester.
By the early 18th. Century, Norton Court had passed to Nicholas Webb whose son, John married Arabella, daughter of Thomas Bushell of Sevinbroke, Oxfordshire and they were blessed with 2 sons and 3 daughters. He was Sherrif of Gloucester from 1761 to 1762 as well as mayor, 1771-2, 1776-7 and 1787-7.
John Webb was a ship’s husband (An agent who is responsible for providing maintenance and supplies for a ship in port) for the East India Company and his family were Gloucester Tradesmen.
Whilst it is not known how these three portraits, John Browne, Lady Blake and her Sister came to be together, they are all in matching frames and came from the same collection. It is probable that Lady Blake is of Irish descent and because of Webb’s maritime connections, the family may well have had both trade with and property in Ireland.
|Height||29.00 inch||(73.66 cm)|
|Width||24.50 inch||(62.23 cm)|
|Depth||2.00 inch||(5.08 cm)|
W.R. Harvey & Co. (Antiques) Ltd
86 Corn Street