To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Regency George IV Rosewood & Burr Maple Inlaid Marquetry Library Table in the manner of Morel & Hughes of London"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
The leather writing table is very much in the Grecian taste popularised by 'T. Hope's Household Furniture and Interior Decoration 1807', while its French-fashioned inlay reflects the robust style of George Bullock (d. 1818) made fashionable by 'R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 1816'. A reference to a similar library table design is illustrated in this book (Plate 143). The description goes on to mention a rosewood table and satinwood ornaments.
The faded cross-banded rosewood edging with burr maple stringing borders the old leather top. Below the two full length mahogany lined drawers are beautifully inlaid marquetry inlaid designs, that flow out from the centre key escutcheons. The carved rosewood flowers to the rounded corners are crisp and sharp flanked by burr maple marquetry panels to the sides as well as the faux drawers to the back of the table. The scroll turned trestle ends rest on an inlaid plinth base with scrolled feet and concealed castors, with applied burr maple carvings.
Nicholas Morel & Robert Hughes (13 Great Marlborough Street)
Morel was among the debtors of the Prince of Wales in 1795, listed as an upholsterer and cabinet-maker of Tenterden Street, Hanover Square, having probably worked at Carlton House and Brighton Pavilion and among the group of fashionable cabinet-makers who supplied furniture for Southill from the 1790s.
From 1802 his address was in Great Marlborough Street where he is listed with Robert Hughes and they continued to provide the Prince with a great deal of furniture and furnishings for his houses until 1826 when the partnership ended. Other major commissions were for the Earl of Bradford at Weston Park, 1802-6, and for Northumberland House, London, in 1823. From 1827-33 Morel formed a partnership with George Seddon to provide a whole range of services for the new schemes of interior decoration at Windsor Castle, the Seddon firm providing workshops and craftsmen while Morel used the experience of his journeys to France to introduce new designs in the rich, florid taste of the 1820s.
|Height||72.50 cm||(28.54 inches)|
|Width||138.00 cm||(54.33 inches)|
|Depth||72.00 cm||(28.35 inches)|