To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Removal of Temple Bar from the City of London"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Removal of Temple Bar from the City of London, lead medal, 1872, by Foot and Tebay, elevation of the decorative facade of Temple Bar, , ERECTED 1672, DEMOLISHED 1878. THIS EFFIGY OF IT WAS STRUCK FROM LEAD FORMERLY ON THE ROOF, SIR C WREN ARCHT. 101 mm (BHM 3051), mounted under glass within a circular brass frame to form a paperweight and held in the base of the original box with a contemporary newspaper reprt concerning the removal. . A small edge knock at 4 o'clock, otherwise extremely fine and rare, especially in this condition.
The Temple Bar was a gateway in Fleet Street which represented the western limits of the city of London and when it first appeared in 1293 it was little more than a chain between two posts. By 1351 a gate had been built and in 1760 Sir Christopher Wren designed a new Temple Bar with a central arch for carriages and pedestrian gateways either side. By 1672 it was built and the gates are recorded as being closed to citizens only once, during the "Wilkes and Liberty Riots" of 1769 when "The Battle of the Bar" took place. In 1806 it was restored and covered in black velvet for the funeral of Admiral Lord Nelson. Despite years of threatened demolition, Temple Bar survived until 1878 when it was agreed that its narrowness had become a hazard to traffic and the new law courts were built. The first of over one thousand bricks was removed on 2nd January 1878 but, on the instructions of the Corporation of London, every stone, brick and beam was carefully numbered and stored in a yard off Farringdon Road. Ten years later these were purchased by Sir Henry Meux, the London brewer and MP. He re-erected the bar at the entrance to the grounds of his Hampshire estate, Theobald's Park.