Round Extending Dining Table of Gargantuan Proportions
Round Extending Dining Table of Gargantuan Proportions
Round Extending Dining Table of Gargantuan Proportions
Round Extending Dining Table of Gargantuan Proportions
Round Extending Dining Table of Gargantuan Proportions
Round Extending Dining Table of Gargantuan Proportions

Round Extending Dining Table of Gargantuan Proportions

1870 England

Offered by Hares Antiques

£130,000 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Views
307
Enquiries
0
Favourites
0
Extremely rare oak extending dining table in the manner of those patented by Jupe, this one probably made by Gillow of Lancester and London with original concentric extending mechanism, original ebonised leaves and original leaf carrier, this table extends to 13 feet diameter with a circumference of around 40 feet and can seat up to 18-20 people. It is 6'6" in diameter with the leaves removed to seat 10 people. Unusually for a circular antique dining table, this table has three sets of leaves which allow for four different sizes of 6"6 wide, 116" wide, 138" wide and 13' maximum.



The underside of the table bears a paper label titled "Sir E.S.W." for Sir Ernest Salter Wills the third Baronet of Hazelwood and Clapton in Gordano.

The table was originally made for Littlecote House near Hungerford in Berkshire:

History of Littlecote House

The original manor house with the deer park dates from around 1290 and was later rebuilt and extended around 1520. It was at Littlecote that Henry VIII courted Jane Seymour and they married at Wulf Hall nearby in 1536.

Queen Elizabeth I was received at Littlecote in 1601 by which time further additions had been made, including The Long Gallery, and the early medieval hall had been converted into a Chapel. During the Civil War Littlecote became a Cromwellian stronghold, but when Charles II was returned to the throne in 1660 the family received a Royal Pardon and entertained the King to ‘a costly dinner’ during his progress to Bath. On the way to London to claim the throne in 1688, William of Orange stayed for two nights after meeting with the Commissioners of King James II.

With the arrival of the 18th century Littlecote enjoyed more peaceful times, and restoration work around 1810 led to the building of The Orangery and The Chinese Room whilst the landscaped gardens were extensively restored.

Remains have been found showing there was a Bronze Age settlement at Littlecote. Recently, the foundations of a Roman Villa with a well preserved highly decorative mosaic floor was discovered in the grounds, showing that the site was inhabited before the original manor house was built in medieval times.

For a similar table, but smaller and with only two sets of leaves, see Sotheby's Important English Furniture sale (Horlick Collection), 5th June 2007, Lot 251 sold for £90,000.
Another smaller table with one set of leaves sold at Brightwell's of Leominster in Herefordshire on the 5th February 2004, Lot 1221 sold for £77,500.
Require more information about this item?
Hares Antiques

Hares Antiques
Parkway Farm
Fosse Bridge
Northleach
Gloucestershire
GL54 3JL
United Kingdom

Contact Details
+44 (0)1285 831311
-
+44 (0)7860 350097 (Allan)
+44 (0)7860 350096 (Theo)
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2011
Members of
View Full Details