Circa 1860, unusual set of 4 chairs attributed to the designer E W Godwin. At the top are two finials which are spheres with Gothic fretwork, above a walnut section inlaid with pitch pine. At each side are pitch pine pilasters and in the centre is a splat which has a raised deep buttoned leather pad with carved pitch pine flower heads in each corner. At the side profile is open fretwork in the ecclesiastical style on the seat and beneath it in the form of quarter brackets on all sides. The chairs have leather stuff over seats held in position by leather covered studs and leather gimping, over mahogany side rails. All standing on turned back legs finishing on a chamfered foot. The front legs have several turnings and finish on brass cups and white porcelain castors. Very stylish set of chairs which could be used as hall chairs or dining chairs.
Size 115cm high x 49cm wide x 57cm deep.