A fine set of 8 English George III mahogany dining chairs, comprising of 6 chairs and 2 carvers. The rectangular shaped back with flame mahogany veneered and strung top rail, with three moulded and carved vertical, scrolling bow shaped central splats, with reeded side and bottom rails. The wider carvers in addition have reeded arms tapering down to a rounded hand rest, supported by a tapering ring turned column supports. The chairs have newly covered drop in seats and are supported by square section tapering legs with H-frame stretcher. A particularly good looking set of chairs with good deep colour and excellent patina.
Excellent. Newly recovered seats. Old restorations, cleaning & waxing. One carver with 19th century elements.
Aynhoe Park, Oxfordshire
Standing on the borders of Oxfordhsire & Northamptonshire Aynhoe Park was purchased in the 17th century by John Cartwright but the house he built in 1615 was seriously damaged during the Civil War by Royalist forces following the Battle of Naseby. Rebuilt after the Civil War to the design of Edward Marshall, master mason in Charles II's Office of Works, in 1707 Thomas Cartwright employed Thomas Archer to enlarge the Jacobean building. The house was embellished by Sir John Soane at the end of the 19th century.
For more information visit our WEB site: www.millingtonadams.com