St Helena: Jamestown from the sea

CHINESE SCHOOL (19th Century )

St Helena: Jamestown from the sea

c. 1820 China

Offered by Martyn Gregory Gallery

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
A small-scale view based on an engraving of 1806 by J.Clark and J. Hamble, with St James’s Church (1774), the fortifications, and the houses of Jamestown in the narrow valley. The island lies some 1100 miles to the west of modern Angola, and 1800 miles east of Brazil; it was colonised by the British in 1659, after the East India Company had ‘resolved to settle, fortifie, and plant upon the island’. St Helena became a regular port of call for East Indiamen on their return journey from the East. Here they took on fresh food and water for the last stage of the journey home.
Width 10.00 inch (25.40 cm)
Stock Code
Oil on canvas
Martyn Gregory Gallery

Martyn Gregory Gallery
34 Bury Street
St James's

Opening Hours
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details