Superb Set Sterling Silver Cake Plates and Tazza 1906. 94.7  ozs.
Superb Set Sterling Silver Cake Plates and Tazza 1906. 94.7  ozs.
Superb Set Sterling Silver Cake Plates and Tazza 1906. 94.7  ozs.
Superb Set Sterling Silver Cake Plates and Tazza 1906. 94.7  ozs.
Superb Set Sterling Silver Cake Plates and Tazza 1906. 94.7  ozs.

WILLIAM COMYNS & SONS (worked c.1885-1930)

Superb Set Sterling Silver Cake Plates and Tazza 1906. 94.7 ozs.

1906 England

Offered by Patrick Howard Antiques Dublin

£3,900 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Views
35
Enquiries
0
Favourites
0
A Very Fine & Exceptional Set of Four Circular Heavy Gauge Sterling Silver Cake or Dessert Plates complete with their original Cake Stand or Tazza, by renowned Silversmiths William Comyns & Sons London.

Each plate with an outer wide band of decorative pierced cut decoration and with applied swags and shell details. The tazza on stand with similar decorations.

Mark of W.C for William Comyns & Sons. Bear Street, London.

Condition: These pieces are in perfect condition with no losses anywhere.

Diameter: 10.25" (26cm). Height: (of tazza) 6.5" (16.5cm).

Total weight: 94.7ozs. (2,684 grams).

Each plate weights: 16.04ozs (463 grams).

London Assay Mark for 1906.

Location: Dublin City, Ireland.

Worldwide Store to door shipping.
This important firm of manufacturing silversmiths was established by William Comyns c. 1859 when he purchased the business of Robert Tagg, itself said to have been founded about 1730. As yet efforts to trace the latter's lineage have failed; it seems clear, however, that Tagg succeeded John Tapley at 40 Roupell Street, Waterloo Road. Tapley, a manufacturing silversmith, was probably the last of Rundell, Bridge & Co.'s outworkers and is also known to have provided work for Robert Green & Co and Makepeace & Walford. Robert Tagg moved in 1857 to his new residence and manufactory at 2 Carlise Street, Soho Square, where by 1859 he listed as a silversmith. William Comyns, thereafter listed as a silversmith, appears to have purchased the business in 1858 or early 1859, entering his first marks from the first same address. He moved to 1 Percy Mews, Rathbone Place, the to 16 Silver Street, Golden Square, Soho, and seubsequently to Beak Street, Regent Street. These premised were later expanded to 41, 43, and 45 Beak street and to 41, 43, 45, 47 Beak Street. Additional premised were taken from c. 1903 at 54 Marshall Street, Soh. The style of the firm was changed to William Comyns & Son c. 1885 when William Comyn's two sons, Charles Harling Comyns and Richard Harling Comyns were admitted to their partnership. William Comyns died in January 1916, and C.H. Comyns while attending a sale in Christie's in 1925. The business was incorporated as limited liability company as William comyn's & Sons Ltd., registered on 20th October 1930, with R.H. Comyns as permanent governing director. Upon the latter's death in 1953, when the firm is said to have lost its former prominence, William Comyns & Sons Ltd was purchased by Bernard Copping. They are now one of the few surviving manufacturing silversmiths in London, with premises at Comyns House, Tower Street, London, WC2. William Comyns first appears to have made a significant impact in the early 1880s by supplying increasingly large numbers of decorative wares in silver, many of which were die-stamped. London retailers of their products at this period included Henry Lewis, Howell & James Ltd.
Medium
English Sterling Silver
Patrick Howard Antiques Dublin

Patrick Howard Antiques Dublin
52 Francis Street
Dublin
Ireland

Contact Details
+35 314733399
-
+35 3863890055
-
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2018
View Full Details