THE BRIDGEWATER HOUSE PORPHYRY DOLPHIN TABLES
THE BRIDGEWATER HOUSE PORPHYRY DOLPHIN TABLES
THE BRIDGEWATER HOUSE PORPHYRY DOLPHIN TABLES
THE BRIDGEWATER HOUSE PORPHYRY DOLPHIN TABLES

THE BRIDGEWATER HOUSE PORPHYRY DOLPHIN TABLES

c. 1803 England

Offered by Ronald Phillips Ltd

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
A pair of George III giltwood side tables by Marsh & Tatham, designed by Charles Heathcote Tatham. These outstanding tables were once part of a suite of at least twelve tables commissioned for George Granville Leveson-Gower, Marquess of Stafford and 1st Duke of Sutherland, for Cleveland House, later renamed Bridgewater House, in London.

When George inherited Cleveland House in 1744 he also inherited from his uncle a very large collection of paintings from the Orléans collection, which would later be housed in a vast picture gallery there. The suite of dolphin tables formed part of the furnishings for this gallery.

The stone slabs for these tables had been bought some fifty years earlier by George’s father. The slabs were of various different stones, and five different widths, from 85 inches at the widest, through 76, 56 and 54¼ inches, to the smallest at 45 inches.

The largest pair of tables, with pink granite tops, is still in the collection of the Duke of Sutherland at Mertoun on the Scottish borders, whilst the other tables are in collections around the world, including a pair with veneered stone tops at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, USA, a single with an African Breccia top at the Fishmongers Hall in London, England, and a single with a porphyry top at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, England, to name but a few.
Commissioned by George Granville Leveson-Gower, Marquess of Stafford and 1st Duke of Sutherland for Cleveland House, London, England;
M. Harris & Sons Ltd., London, England;
H. Blairman & Sons Ltd., London, England;
Private collection, England.
John Cornforth, ‘Mertoun, Berwickshire: II’, Country Life, 9 June 1966, fig. 3.
F. Herman, ‘Collection Classics’, Connoisseur, June 1966, p. 103.
Christopher Proudfoot and D. Watkin, ‘The Furniture of C. H. Tatham: II’, Country Life, 8 June 1972, pp. 1481-6.
David Pearce, London’s Mansions, 1986, fig. 135.
Christie’s, ‘John Harris, Treasures of the North’, exhibition catalogue, 2000, p. 138, item 102.
Tania M. Buckrell Pos, ‘Tatham and Italy: Influences on English Neoclassical Design’, Furniture History, 2002, pp. 58-82.
Katherine S. Howe, Rienzi: European Decorative Arts and Paintings, 2008, pp. 91-2, 203 & 211.
Susan Weber, William Kent: Designing Georgian Britain, 2013, p. 604, fig. 21.17.
Dimensions
Height 83.00 cm (32.68 inches)
Width 114.50 cm (45.08 inches)
Depth 59.50 cm (23.43 inches)
Stock Code
4428831
Ronald Phillips Ltd

Ronald Phillips Ltd
26 Bruton Street
London
W1J 6QL
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details