The Charles Mercer silver-gilt Ewer

The Charles Mercer silver-gilt Ewer

1667 London

Offered by Koopman Rare Art

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
The ewer on pedestal foot, the body engraved with a coat-of-arms within a plume cartouche above cut-card trefoils, harp-shaped handle.

The arms are those of Mercer impaling Stewart for Sir James Mercer of Aldie, a burgess of Perth, who married in 1648, Jean eldest daughter of Sir Thomas Stewart of Grantully.
Sir James Mercer, whose London house was in Axe Yard, Westminster (where Samuel Pepys had lived between August 1658 and July 1660), was appointed Gentleman Usher to Charles II in January 1661. His only son Charles was christened in June 1667 in the presence of his godfather, the king, whose gift of 80 ounces of gilt plate to mark the event is recorded in the Jewel Office accounts (National Archives, LC5/107, p.119). Writing afterwards to his father-in-law, Mercer recalled ‘that his Majesty on the occasion was very jovial, without any sort of drinking,’ except to the child’s health (Sir William Fraser, The Red Book of Grandtully, Edinburgh, 1868, p. cxxv).

The maker’s mark HW, a shell below, has been recorded on an otherwise unmarked Charles II silver two-handled porringer and cover of about 1670, engraved with the arms of Ralph Cotton of Bellaport, co. Salop and Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Jewel Office records of warrants to the Master of the Jewel Office, Public Record Office, LC5/107, p. 119. (dish)

Dimensions
Height 23.00 cm (9.06 inches)
Weight 3573.00g (114.89oz t)
Stock Code
20487.1
Medium
Silver-gilt
Signed/Inscribed
London 1667 with maker’s mark ‘HW’, an escallop below, for Henry Welch
Koopman Rare Art

Koopman Rare Art
Ground Floor Entrance
London Silver Vaults
Chancery Lane
London
WC2A 1QS
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details