THE CHIRK CASTLE BOOKCASE     – Attributed to Mayhew & Ince -
THE CHIRK CASTLE BOOKCASE     – Attributed to Mayhew & Ince -
THE CHIRK CASTLE BOOKCASE     – Attributed to Mayhew & Ince -
THE CHIRK CASTLE BOOKCASE     – Attributed to Mayhew & Ince -

THE CHIRK CASTLE BOOKCASE – Attributed to Mayhew & Ince -

c. 1760 English

Offered by Rolleston

Sold
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
An exceptional George III mahogany breakfront bookcase with a pierced fretwork cornice above a egg-and-dart dentil-carved frieze, with glazed astragal doors enclosing adjustable shelves; the lower part with a gadrooned edge above a central paneled door carved with foliate clasps enclosing an adjustable shelf, flanked by two banks of four graduated drawers, fitted with chased brass handles, and standing on a plinth

English, Circa 1760.

Width: 160 cm 62”
Depth: 56 cm 21”
Height: 254 cm 100”

Provenance
Edward Nield, Preston, Lancashire, England.
Jeremy Ltd, London

Illustrated
Apollo Magazine 1958

Chirk Castle was purchased in 1595 by Sir Thomas Myddelton who made his fortune in the East India Company. The breakfront almost certainly remained in the family with Richard Myddelton (1726-95) who in 1761 married, which prompted a period of ambitious modernization of both the house and grounds, with the architect William Yoxall of Nantwich hired until 1764 followed by Joseph Turner who remodeled the state rooms in 1766-78.

Surviving correspondence from the London firm of John Mayhew and William Ince to Richard Myddelton in 1782-3, discuss the suite of furniture they supplied for the Saloon of the castle

The firms are known to have supplied other items of furniture to Chirk in the 1760s
(see Chirk Castle; Christie's House Sale, 21 June 2004).
Rolleston

Rolleston
104a Kensington Church Street
London
W8 4BU
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details