To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding ""The Good Shepherd" Stained Glass Window, circa 1890"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Available to view at Brunswick House, London.
Height 191.5cm, width 88cm.
Shrigley and Hunt was an English firm which produced stained glass windows and art tiles. The business began in the 1750s when Shrigley's was a painting, carving and gilding firm in Lancaster, Lancashire.
In 1868, control of Shrigley's was passed to Arthur Hunt, a Londoner, who ran a stained glass and decorating business in the south of England. Hunt had worked under designer Henry Holiday at the firm of Heaton, Butler & Bayne. Holiday influenced Hunt to create brighter, more realistic and more understandable figures and stories from the bible. Hunt's chief designers were Carl Almquist who had also studied under Holiday, and E.H. Jewitt.
From 1878, the firm became known as Shrigley and Hunt, with premises on Castle Hill, Lancaster opposite the main gate of Lancaster Castle. The new company also had a showroom in London.
Hunt died in 1917 and leadership passed to Joseph Fisher. After World War II the company moved to West Road, Lancaster; fire destroyed much of those premises in 1973. The firm closed with Fisher's death in 1982.
Shrigley and Hunt made windows for many churches, including the Priory Church of St Mary in Lancaster and St Paul's Church in Scotforth. Their work can also be found throughout the UK and further afield in Europe.
As well as stained glass, Shrigley and Hunt made art tiles; in the late 19th century these formed an important part of the income of the company. Some of the tiles can be seen still in situ outside their former workshop on Castle Hill.
Lancaster City Museum has a significant holding of Shrigley and Hunt material. This includes two panels by E. L. Eaton, a stained glass window and its cartoon in the design of John O'Gaunt, several negatives showing posed figures for stained glass artists to copy, and two painted vases by William Lambert. Unfortunately most other records of Shrigley & Hunt were lost in a fire.
LASSCO Ltd, Brunswick House
30 Wandsworth Road