The New Game of Ping Pong
The New Game of Ping Pong

The New Game of Ping Pong

c. 1900 to c. 1910 England

Offered by Baggott Church Street Ltd

Sold
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
Cloth bound box with original printed paper label of fantasy garden images. Within, two battledores (bats) made from turned wooden handles and vellum and leather hitting surfaces with gilt pattern to all edges. Turned beech and brass table clamps, dark green net and two net ‘wings’ to be attached to posts to prevent play around the net edges. Original instruction booklet and one celluloid ball.
English, circa 1900-1910
Box size: Length 18.5” (47cm) Width 7.5” (19cm) Depth 3.25” (8cm)
Stock No. 9842
‘Causing immense excitement and healthy exercise and is the nearest approach that can be to the Game of Lawn Tennis as played out of doors’. Sole publishers and Manufacturers J.Jaques & Son Ltd. & Hamley Bros. United States America Trade Mark No. 36854 6/8/01

In an interview with ‘The Echo' in 1901, John Jaques 111 claimed that a James Devonshire applied for a patent for the game of ‘table tennis’ in October 1885, although the application was abandoned in 1887. Thereafter, it is possible that Jaques bought the idea from Devonshire, as they registered their own version in 1891. The game used either a cork or rubber ball until 1900, when the perfect ball made of celluloid was invented. from thereon it gained huge popularity. It was the noise of the celluloid ball on the vellum drum bats that created the ‘ping-pong’ sound. Called ‘Gossima’ the game eventually became known as ‘Ping Pong’. In association with Hamleys, Parker bros. of Salem, Mass USA were to register the trademark No. 36854 in 1901.
Stock Code
9842
Baggott Church Street Ltd

Baggott Church Street Ltd
Church Street
Stow-on-the-Wold
Gloucestershire
GL54 1BB
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2008
Members of
View Full Details