Thorpe Watering with the Church of St.  Andrew's

JOHN THIRTLE (1777-1839)

Thorpe Watering with the Church of St. Andrew's

19th century England

Offered by Martyn Gregory Gallery

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
As a boy John Thirtle is said to have been sent from his native Norwich to London as a frame-maker’s apprentice. He was back in Norwich by 1805, when he participated in the first exhibition of the Norwich Society of Artists; in 1806 he listed himself as ‘Miniature Painter and Drawing Master’ of St Saviour’s, Norwich. In 1812 he married J.S. Cotman’s sister-in-law; Cotman, together with Girtin and Crome, were the chief influences on Thirtle’s early work.

The village of Thorpe with the adjacent river was a favourite sketching place for Thirtle and other members of the Norwich School. On the left is St. Andrew’s Church, of which only the tower remains today, standing in the shadow of a larger church built in the 1860s. The district is now a suburb of Norwich, known as Thorpe St Andrew.

A version of this painting, in the Norwich Castle Museum, is illustrated in Marjorie Allthorpe-Guyton, John Thirtle 1777-1839. Drawings in the Norwich Castle Museum, 1977, pl. 42 (cat. no. 79). That version includes a cart with horses in the foreground, and wherries tied up beyond the fence. The catalogue notes that ‘a similar composition but without the wherries… was lent by Sir Henry Holmes to the Thirtle centenary 1939 (5)’; this may well refer to the present picture.
Sir Henry Holmes (see note)
Height 10.50 inch (26.67 cm)
Width 16.50 inch (41.91 cm)
Stock Code
Watercolour over traces of pencil
Indistinctly inscribed with colour notes in the lower part of the sky at right
Martyn Gregory Gallery

Martyn Gregory Gallery
34 Bury Street
St James's

Opening Hours
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details