To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Very Rare Full Size Antique Billiard / Snooker Table By Gillows"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Very Rare Full Size Antique Billiard / Snooker Table By Gillows
1850 to 1860 London
Offered by Hares Antiques
GILLOWS OF LANCASTER & LONDON (1730-1903)
Full size antique billiard / snooker table made by Gillow of Lancaster and London. Gillow made very few billiard tables and only ever as important commissions for landed gentry and the aristocracy. This is a very rare table indeed and we are very lucky to have the original Gillows cues and rules together with the table.
It is made of an extremely good cut of oak with substantial superstructure and good early flat slate bed. Having been in the same family since 1869 and in the house for which it was made from the 1850s until the 1940s, this billiard table is very complete and in excellent condition.
The serial number stamped on the frame is 1102 which means it was probably made around 1855.
The black and white photograph is of Hatherop Castle taken in 1890.
The table was owned at one point by Lieutenant Commander Cadogan and still bears the paper label with his name.
There is more history about the Cadogans on the Castle's website, especially this piece about Ruth Cadogan:
"Ruth was to play a significant part in the Castle's history, during the First World War she provided accommodation at Hatherop for wounded officers of the Commonwealth countries during convalescence. After the war the ever resourceful Ruth Cadogan, as she was by then, set upon educating her own daughters under the newly introduced system of education by correspondence."
The discovery of the paper label is exciting as it quantifies the link with Hatherop and proves the family's claim that the table's long association with Hatherop Castle is correct.
There is also mention in the above link to an architect called Henry Clutton who oversaw major re-construction of the house in the mid nineteenth century ,
Clutton was also commissioned for the interiors at The Mansion House near Bedfordshire, and employed Gillows to manufacture much of the furnishings. So if he was in charge of the mid 19th century renovations then it makes sense that he would ask Gillow to supply the table.
The castle was sold in the 1960s having been rented out for 30 years as a school. The table stayed with the Bazley family in their Eastleach Farm until it was acquired by Hares Antiques in 2013.
The Old Bear Inn