Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove

GEORGE UNITE (worked from c.1825)

Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove

1893 England

Offered by waxantiques

Sold
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
An excellent quality antique sterling silver presentation trowel with an inscription to one side and a finely engraved image of Palmeira House (see detailed description) to the other. Would make an ideal cake slice. Length 34 cms. Width 10.5 cms. London 1893. Maker George Unite.
This unusual silver trowel is in excellent condition with no damage or restoration. The engraving is sharp. The hallmarks are clear and easy to read. There is a wear mark on the handle and some light scratching to one side of the blade (see photos).

Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.
A presentation trowel was traditionally given to commemorate laying the foundation stone of a building. It should bear an inscription with the name of the dignitary laying the stone, the building and the date of commencement (or completion) of the project. Special examples can sometimes have an engraved representation of the building. On rare occasions a life size presentation shovel was given to commemorate “the turning of the first sod”.

Stock Code
7083
Medium
silver
Signed/Inscribed
Palmeira House The building at 75 Holland Road in Hove, part of the English coastal city of Brighton and Hove, is now in residential use as loft-style apartments called Palmeira Yard, but was originally a repository belonging to the Brighton & Hove Co-operative Supply Association, the main cooperative business organisation in the area. Elaborately designed in 1893 in the French Second Empire style by local architect Thomas Lainson of the firm Lainson & Sons, the storage building had built-in stables and was lavishly decorated with terracotta. After a period of ownership by haulage and removals company Pickfords, who used the building for furniture storage, a local architecture firm carried out the conversion into mixed-use live-work units between 2004 and 2006. English Heritage has listed the building at Grade II for its architectural and historical importance.
waxantiques

waxantiques
49 Camden Passage
London
N1 8EA

+44 (0)7904 297419
+44 (0)7904 297419
Favourite Dealer
Request Dealer Alerts
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2009
Members of
View Full Details