Whampoa (Huangpu): the anchorage
Whampoa (Huangpu): the anchorage

CHINESE SCHOOL (19th Century )

Whampoa (Huangpu): the anchorage

c. 1835 China

Offered by Martyn Gregory Gallery

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
Western ships trading at Canton (Guangzhou) were obliged to drop anchor at Whampoa, a dozen miles downstream for the Western hongs in the suburbs of Canton. Here the anchorage is seen shortly before the arrival of steamers. American, British, Danish and Dutch flags can be seen on the Western sailing ships, amid smaller Chinese vessels. A sizeable village has grown up on Whampoa Island, on which the Pazhou pagoda stands (and a smaller pagoda to the right of centre). In the foreground is the hilly Dane’s Island, with French Island on the left, and above it the Chigang or ‘half-way’ Pagoda.
Martyn Gregory, cat. 53, 1989, no.101; J. Welles Henderson
Illustrated: ‘Philadelphians and The China Trade, 1784-1844’, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1984, 34
Height 47.00 cm (18.50 inches)
Width 78.70 cm (30.98 inches)
Stock Code
Gouache on paper
Martyn Gregory Gallery

Martyn Gregory Gallery
34 Bury Street
St James's

Opening Hours
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details