German-born Adam Weisweiler moved to Paris and became maitre-ebeniste in 1778. He worked notably for the marchands-merciers, who alone could supply him with the Japanese lacquer panels that, combined with ebony and refined gilt-bronze, characterise some of his finest work. Through Dominique Daguerre he supplied the writing table of steel, lacquer and ebony and gilt-bronze for Marie Antoinette at the château de Saint-Cloud in 1784. Through Daguerre again he provided furniture for the Prince Regent (later George IV) at Carlton House, London. Weisweiler specialised in small refined pieces, with fine lines, delicate legs with light interlaced stretchers, and gilt-bronze low-relief plaques and mounts, some provided to him by Pierre Gouthière through Daguerre, often decorated with panels of Japanese lacquer and Sèvres porcelain plaques, even panels of pietra dura. Unlike other luxury furniture makers of the Ancien Régime, Weisweiler weathered the Revolution. In 1810 he was supplying Queen Hortense and collaborating with Pierre-Philippe Thomire. After his retirement, his son Jean Weisweiler continued the workshop until 1844. Weisweiler's work is represented in all the national collections of decorative arts.