André Lemoine was one of the most renowned furniture makers of the late nineteenth century. He was associated from 1846 with Louis Edward Le Marchand and succeeded him in 1852 retaining the laters workshops at 17 rue de Tournelles. His son Henry took over in 1863, the business finally closing in 1893.
The company’s success was assured by a Royal Warrant being granted from Napoleon III, Lemoine supplying furniture for a large number of Imperial commissions from 1852 onwards. Commissions included items of case furniture for Le Garde-Meuble Imperial, Le Ministere d’ Etat, Le Palais de Saint-Cloud, Le Palais Royal, and Le Palais des Tuileries.
Lemoine exhibited at a number of the important exhibitions held throughout the nineteenth century including the 1855 Exposition Universelle where he exhibited an ebonised buffet and rosewood and walnut inlaid furniture with gilt-bronze mounts.
Lemoine was known to have worked closely in conjunction with the specialist marqueteur Joseph Cremer, who was celebrated for his distinctive naturalistic inlay, drawing upon seventeenth century Dutch and French traditions. The impressive naturalistic inlay to this table can almost certainly be attributed to Cremer.