When war broke out she moved with Nicholson and their triplet children to Cornwall, running a nursery school for children for the next three years. She did not sculpt again until 1943.
From 1951, she lived permanently at Trewyn Studios, St. Ives after the dissolution of her second marriage. She received many commissions from home and abroad and Retrospectives took place at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in 1952 and 1962, and at the Tate in 1968. She was made a DBE in 1965. In 1970, Hepworth published her Autobiography. Her studio was finally opened to the public as a museum after her tragic death in a fire in 1975