Dominiques Daguerre of Paris & London
Dominique Daguerre was the most successftul marchand- mercier in late eighteenth-century Paris.' By about 1772 he had established his famous shop in the rue Saint-Honore, called A la Couronne d'or, which supplied the courts of Europe and much of the aristocracy with sumptuous and expensive wares. It had originally belonged to a relation of Daguerre's, Simon Poirier, who treated Daguerre as a son and soon made him his business partner. In 1777 Poirier retired, and, ten years later, Daguerre, sensing perhaps the impending doom of his great patron, Queen Marie Antoinette, expanded his trade in luxury goods by opening a shop in London. There he chiefly sold Sevres porcelain with the authorisation of the comte d'Angeviller who was the superintendent of the French Royal Manufactories. It was then that Daguerre was invited by the Prince of Wales to oversee the interior decoration of the latter's new residence at Carlton House which necessitated a lengthy stay in London. In Paris in May 1789, Daguerre entered into part- nership with Martin-Eloy Lignereux with whom he had worked since April 1787.2 Lignereux was in London by January 1790, while Daguerre remained in revolutionary Paris, and is recorded as still being there in October 1791. He finally left the French capital for London on 6th October 1792. In the following year he was living in the parish of St James's, and, on March 25th of that year, many of his and Lignereux's possessions were auctioned in Paris. In 1794, he had a shop in Sloane Street where he remained until his death two years later.