Donald Ross was based in London 13 Denmark Square, Soho during the third quarter of the nineteenth century.
The firm exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London and may well have supplied work for the renowned London and Lancaster firm of Gillow, their work has also been noted with the stamp Edwards and Roberts, the London retailer.
Ross appears to have made a speciality of the 'dotted marquetry trellis' popularised by Garnier and Sene in eighteenth century Paris. According to a letter from Ross's son, Thomas, to the Victoria and Albert Museum in October 1928, his first suite in this style was sold in 1851 at the Great Exhibition, thought to have been bought by Queen Victoria and sold by a house agent called Freyberg. Tables by Ross were also sold by John Watson of New Oxford Street. Ross supplied a quantity of pietra dura ivory, tortoiseshell and ormolu to the London trade and restored eighteenth Century pieces.
The Victoria and Albert Museum, London still retains a pair of tables in his distinctive dotted marquetry trellis' inlay.
Payne, Christopher 'Nineteenth Century European Furniture', (Woodbrige, UK) 1981, p.315.