The Gien factory was founded in 1821, by Thomas Edme Hulm, (also know as Hall), in the former monastery of Minim, to produce faience and soft-paste white porcelain in the English manner.
The Gien factory enjoyed tremendous success throughout the nineteenth century, particularly for is innovative recreation of Renaissance designs. The Gien designs incorporate typical Renaissance elements such as mythological beings, putti, garlands, masques, trophies and coats of arms on white, black, brown and later blue backgrounds. The designs were often inspired by Italian Renaissance pottery from Faenza, and Urbino, fine examples of which where exhibited by this time in collections in Lyon, La Rochelle and Paris.
The pinnacle of production at Gien was between 1855 and 1900. They exhibited with great success at many of the important international exhibitions of the period, attaining prizes at the 1855, 1867, 1878, 1889 and 1900 exhibitions.
The Gien factory remains today as one of the most distinguished producers of high quality ceramics in France.