Henry Cliffe was born in Scarborough Yorkshire in 1919. While in the Army in World War II he met the painter Wiliam Scott in Wales and decided to enrol as a student at Bath Academy of Art.
He was invited to join the staff and became an influential teacher. He began to exhibit in international exhibitions including two Venice Biennales.
Cliff had his first solo show of paintings at Redfern Gallery in 1956 and his first solo print show at St George's Gallery in 1959.
In 1960 Cliffe won first purchase prize at Philadelphia Print Club and in the following year gained a Ford Foundation Scholarship, Pratt Institute of Art New York.
In 1970 Cliffe had a retrospective show of prints at the Arnolfini Gallery Bristol and in 1977 and 1980 solo shows of paintings and drawings at Festival Gallery Bath.
Over four decades Cliffe moved from figurative to abstract and finally back to figurative.