Henry-Daniel CAPT, Geneva
Capt was born in Chenit, Switzerland, in 1773. He was one of the first Geneva watch makers to use the musical mechanism with a pinned cylinder and tuned teeth comb.
Between 1802 and 1811, Capt worked in partnership with Daniel Piguet. After parting ways, Capt worked alone until 1830, when he began working with Aubert and Son.
Their watches, bearing the signature ‘Aubert & Capt’, were among the first watches in Geneva with chronograph.
In 1880, the firm was purchased by Gallopin, registering its name as ‘H. Capt Horloger, Maison Gallopin Successeurs’.
Among the first in Geneva to use the musical mechanism with pinned cylinder and tuned teeth comb, he was famous for his snuffboxes with music and automaton scenes.
Watches sold in their stored were signed as such, while watches supplied to other retailers were simply signed ‘Henry Capt’.
Capt is now considered one of the foremost makers of small musical automata in the late 18th and early 19th centuries