James Burton (1761–1837) was a builder and developer, responsible for large areas of Bloomsbury and the houses around Regent's Park in London. He later founded the new town of St Leonards-on-Sea, which is now part of the built-up area of Hastings goes here.Children: Decimus Burton[1800-1881], Eliza Burton [1786-1877] and Jane Wood [1792-1879]
James Burton was one of the most significant builder of Georgian London, responsible for large areas of Bloomsbury, as well as St. Johns Wood and Clapham Common. He also collaborated with John Nash on Regents Park. In 1828 he started building a new seaside town at St. Leonards on the East Sussex coast near Hastings based closely on his experiences at Regents Park. Although primarily a builder James Burton designed many of his own works and examples of these drawings survive in the Hastings Museum.
His son, Decimus Burton [1800-1881] was a successful 19th century architect, designing buildings in and around Regents Park as well as the Wellington Arch and Hyde Park Screen and the Palm and Temperate houses at Kew. He was responsible for the layout of London Zoo, Hyde Park and Kew Gardens and built country villas in the classical and gothic style. He also carried out town planning schemes at Calverley Park Tunbridge Wells and Fleetwood in Lancashire. In 1850 Decimus began a second phase of building at St. Leonards on Sea.