James Jones Elliott, London
In 1865 James Jones Elliott of 156 Cheapside in the City of London, was apprenticed to "Bateman" of 82 St John Street, Smithfield, London., to learn the art of clock making and became a manufacturer of the fine quality Elliott of London clocks. In the early 1880s the firm J.J. Elliott, Ltd, of London manufactured massive hall clock movements of the highest quality. They were in at the start of a great resurgence of interest in long case clocks in Britain and America. In 1884 Mr. J. Harrington of the firm Harris and Harrington obtained a patent for bell chimes (tubular bells) and had Elliott adapt these to the (Elliott) movements. Elliott produced movements for the next 40 years and were always the quality standard for the industry. The Elliott Clock Company also marketed complete clocks with their movements.