James Wilson of Birmingham, Dial Maker
The dial maker James Wilson is recorded as working in Birmingham from 1777 until 1809 having previously been in partnership with Thomas Osborne from 1772. One of the finest, earliest and most important of the Birmingham dial makers. Wilson stayed at the premises in 11, Great Charles Street previously used by the partnership. He used various artists to decorate the individual dials and no two are alike, many still extant have markings and labels to the rear which would donate who the dial was for and who the actual painter was. It has been noted that 'Wilson dials with automata are comparatively rare because, outside of the 'special orders' they were the most expensive of all the dials. Few seem to have survived with all their moving pieces intact...'