John Blades, glass manufacturer
John Blades (c. 1751–1829), who in 1809 purchased 60 acres of land in Brixton from Richard Ogbourne, was a wealthy glass manufacturer with premises at Ludgate Hill. His business was founded in 1780–2 and, after his death, was carried on under the name of Crook and Jones, and later of Jones and Sons. Blades was Sheriff of London and Middlesex in 1812–13. At his death in 1829 he left personal property valued at about £140,000, as well as Severndroog Castle near Shooter's Hill, premises in St. Bride's Avenue, Fleet Street, and the estate at Brixton.