John Gilbertson is recorded as working in Rippon (Ripon), Yorkshire from about 1750 until his death in 1793. A longcase clock by him is illustrated in "Clockmakers of Northern England" by Brian Loomes. C.L. Reid, in "North Country Clockmakers", notes that some clocks by him have the name Ripon spelt Rippon, as in this case. Gilbertson was recorded as a clockmaker in the "Universal British Directory" of 1790-95, a list of which was published in "The Yorkshire Evening Post", July 25th, 1908.
The quality and style of this clock would indicate that Gilbertson 'bought-in' the clock from London as it is almost identical to those from the workshops of the well-regarded maker John Taylor. Of special note is the engraved decoration to the backplate and distinctive double line to the backplate edge, the shape of the verge apron, the shape of the hammer heads, as well as the positioning of the bells. The case has identical mounts to those seen by Taylor, including the feet, side frets and finials. The dial and engraving is almost identical to that used by Taylor, especially the engraving to the chapter ring and inner aspect showing the date, as are the rather distinctive hands and spandrels. But the main proof is the signature engraved to the dial centre where the 'John' of John Gilbertson is identical to the 'John' engraved on clocks by John Taylor down to the swirl at the end. All of which establishes this as a clock made in the workshops of this renowned maker.