Junghans Uhren of Württemberg
Junghans Uhren GmbH is Germany's largest watch and clock manufacturer.
The company is located in Schramberg, Baden-Württemberg. On 15 April 1861 Erhard Junghans created the company „Junghans und Tobler“ together with his brother-in-law Jakob Zeller-Tobler in Schramberg.
The company began to produce wristwatches in 1927. Beginning in the 1950s, the virtuoso designer Max Bill created clocks and watches for Junghans and the relationship lasted many years. A remarkable example of his work is a wall clock he designed in 1956/57 that is in the collection of The Museum of Modern Art (New York).
In 1962 Bill also created mechanical wristwatches for Junghans – impressive timepieces, not only for their aesthetic design, but also their precision.
In the late 1980s, Junghans introduced the first radio-controlled table clock on the world market. In 1990, the first radio-controlled wristwatch followed, called the MEGA 1. In 1995 Junghans presented the ultimate combination of the solar powered watch with ceramic housing and solar-powered technology. Currently, Junghans is developing with the Japanese clock maker Seiko a globally oriented wristwatch, which automatically sets the local time in respective time zones.