In 1808 the brothers John and William Ridgway jointed their father Job's factory at Cauldon Place, Hanley in Staffordshire and in the same year the production of bone china was added to that of earthenwares.
The early Ridgway porcelains were in Spode style, with quality, scenic bat-prints and some colourful designs in "London"- shape teawares.
In 1830 the two brothers separated. William Ridgway concentrated on the production of earthenwares. John continued the Cauldon Place Works and was later appointed Potter of Queen Victoria, making some magnificently decorated porcelains.
Around 1833 five hundred people were employed at the pottery, and many talanted artists were engaged in production of fine painted pieces, some of which are believed to be the work of George Speight and Daniel Lucas, known for their landscape and figure painting. Thomas Brentnall, George Hancock, and Joseph Bancroft have also been employed, specializing in flower painting.
John Ridgway exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and their catalogue shows the great variety and quality of the porcelain produced by the factory at this time.
In 1856 John Ridgway & Co. gave way to Ridgway, Bates & Co., to be followed on John's retirement in 1858 by Bates, Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co and than from December 1861 by Brown-Westhead, More & Co., a firm that continued until 1904.