Robson and Sons of Newcastle on Tyne
ROBSON.& SONS, Cabinet makers, 42, Northumberland Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne
In 1830 William Hampton opened a shop for the sale of general household furniture in Cranbourn Street. He was subsequently joined by his two sons George and William Powell (the sons of George Hampton; Harold, Fred and Clarence also later entered the business). In 1869 Hamptons and Sons Ltd expanded with new premises on the corner site comprising 8 Pall Mall East and 1-3 Dorset Place (now Whitcomb Street). As the firm continued to expand it took over control of a number of other firms, beginning with James Coulson and Co of Lisburn, Northern Ireland in 1898, and in the early 1950's Robson and Sons Ltd of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.