Roger-François Thépot was born in Landeleau, Finistère in 1925. Entirely self-taught, he began painting in 1944. From 1950 onwards, he steered towards a vein of abstraction which became known as ‘l’abstraction géométrique’
From 1954 onwards, he exhibited at various salons: Comparaisons et Réalités Nouvelles; Ecole de Paris at the Galerie Charpentier; Salon de l’Art Sacré; Salon de Mai. He also took part in a number of group exhibitions, namely: Construction and Geometry in Painting, New York, Cincinnati and Minneapolis, 1960 & 1961; Constructivists, London 1962; Exposition Internationale du Constuctivisme, Musée de Céret, south west France.
Thépot moved to Canada in 1965 where he featured in numerous exhibitions.
He held a series of one man shows in Paris in 1952, 1954 and 1961; in Bruges and Brussels in 1963; and in Toronto in 1965 & 1966.
His work, often measured and restrained and strictly orthogonal in structure, may be characterised by the richness and solemnity of its tonal palette of greys, reds and blacks.