ROYAL WORCESTER PORCELAIN
In 1751 Dr. John Wall, and a group of local businessmen established a porcelain factory.
The earliest Worcester Porcelain was painted in blue under the glaze.
By 1756 Robert Hancock had arrived at Worcester, the first man to apply transferring of prints on to porcelain.
Around 1770 one of the first Royal services was made for the Duke of Gloucester.
The factory seen from the River Severn. All images used with kind permission of Royal Worcester Porcelain and copyright.
Dr John Wall retired in 1774, however his partners continued to manufacture until their London agent, Thomas Flight took over.
By 1789 the quality of Worcester Porcelain earned the company the prestigious 'Royal Warrant' as Manufacturers to their Majesties- thus the word 'Royal' was added to the name.
In 1840 manufacture was consolidated on the current factory site and major modernisation followed in 1862. The 'Worcester Royal Porcelain Company Limited' was thus formed.
During the second half of the nineteenth century, Royal Worcester produced a new material called Parian, which revolutionised figure making.
Visitor to the museum in Victorian times. All images used with kind permission of Royal Worcester Porcelain and copyright.
Exhibition pieces were created, such as the Norman Conquest Vases, the Potters' Vases and the giant Chicago Vase, now on show at the Museum of Worcester Porcelain.
During the early 20th century Royal Worcester took a traditional approach to shapes and decoration.
The factory celebrated its 250th anniversary 2001 and continues the tradition of blending art and rigorous craftsmanship.