The GLOBE WERNICKE Company
The Globe-Wernicke Company was formed as a result of the Cincinnati based Globe Files Company (est. in 1882) purchasing the Minneapolis based Wernicke Company in 1899. The company is best known for their high end bookcases, Desks, and other office furniture. Globe Wernicke established factories in the United States, United Kingdom, France and Germany.
The company patented the 'elastic bookcases' also known as a modular bookcase. These were a high quality stacking book shelves, with a standard width of 34 inches, in Oak, Walnut and Mahogany, capable of being adapted to fit together to form a bookcase which could either be all of the same measurements or which could be re-arranged by the insertion of units of different depths and heights. These glass fronted shelves now are proving to be collectable, desirable and usable antiques - with regularity these bookcases appear in auctions and internet sites and, what originally cost $75 or so will now be sold for $900 or more.
During World War II 90% of the company's business in the US was converted to produce military equipment.
In September 1955, the company was purchased by the City Auto Stamping Company of Toledo, Ohio.
In 1963 Globe-Wernicke acquires the Weis Manufacturing Company, and changes the company name to Globe-Weis Systems Company.
In 1987 American Trading and Production Company purchases Globe-Weis, and operates them under new name - ATAPCO Office Products Group.
In 2000 Cardinal Brands Inc. of Lawrence, Kansas is formed merging Globe-Weis and four other brands.