TOWN & EMANUEL
Recorded in the ‘Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840’, published by the Furniture History Society, as being situated at 103 New Bond Street between 1830 and 1840, and apart from being manufacturers of furniture, also dealt in ‘curiosities and antiques’. The late renowned connoisseur Christopher Gilbert records in his ‘Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture’ London 1997,also published by the Furniture History Society, a writing table in the Transitional manner with similar plaques. Their label reads‘ Town and Emanuel, manufacturers of Buhl Marquetrie, Resner (sic) & Carved Furnitures, tripods, screens & c. of the finest and most superb designs of the Louis 14th. Splendid cabinets and tables inlaid with fine Sevres and Dresden china &c. old paintings and bronzes, carvings, oriental and other china, jewellery & curiosities bought and exchanged. Buhl and antique furniture repaired. By Appointment to Her Majesty’.
They supplied a bureau plat to Queen Adelaide,wife of William IV, their label bearing her coat of arms and being recorded in E.T. Joy’s ‘ English Furniture 1800-1850’. This piece is reported in the V&A archives, as having been sold by Sotheby’s in July 1948. A porcelain inset occasional table from the Duke of Beuccleuch’s collection was sold in 1948 by Christies