Trapnell & Gane (Cabinet Makers)
The business was begun by Henry Trapnell in 1824 in premises in Host Street, Bristol. As the company developed, it moved into various new premises in Bristol, including Queen's Street, St. Michaels and Barrs Street, St. Pauls. In 1860, the company headquarters moved into premises on College Green and, in 1889, branches had opened in both Cardiff and Newport. Final expansion was in 1903, when a five floor factory was opened in Hill Street, Bristol.
During the 19th century, Henry's sons, William and Caleb helped the company to flourish and Philip Endres Gane, who had worked for the company since boyhood, was to go into partnership with them towards the end of the 19th century, later becoming sole proprietor. Gane's sons were to continue in the business after their father's death in 1933 and, following severe losses during the second world war, the company was to dissolve in 1954.