Tudor & Leader
Tudor & Leader was founded in 1761 by Henry Tudor of Sheffield and Thomas Leader of Broxted in Essex. John Sherburn, a silversmith from Sheffield, joined as a third partner in 1763. After Sherburn's death in 1773, Tudor & Leader drew up a new partnership agreement to continue the business together.
Tudor & Leader was renowned for producing designs of the highest quality in Old Sheffield Plate. The firm occupied premises on Sycamore Hill (now Tudor Street). In 1777, Leader leased the house at the end of Surrey Street. This is now the administrative office of Sheffield Galleries & Museums Trust.
Samuel Nicholson became a partner in 1783 and the firm changed their name to "Tudor, Leader's & Nicholson". Thomas Leader's brother, Daniel, joined the firm as a partner in 1785. At this time the business was valued at £18,000 and described as "the Trade or Business of a Silver and Silverplated manufacturer and in divers[e] other Goods, wares and merchandize".
After the elder partner's had retired, Daniel Leader and Thomas Leader Jnr continued the business until 1816.