Dring studied under Henry Tonks at the Slade where he won several prizes and scholarships. Until 1940 he taught at Southampton School of Art before leaving to become an official war artist. His work is well represented in the collection of the Imperial War Museum. He was a frequent exhibitor at the Royal Watercolour Society and at the Royal Academy where he was elected a full member in 1955. Working in both oil and watercolour he was a noted portrait and landscape painter.