WILLIAMS & GIBTON
The Irish firm of Williams and Gibton (1830-44) are listed as Cabinetmakers, upholders, Auctioneers, Valuators and House agents. They evolved from the well known firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton (1811-29) who were at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed 'Upholster's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works' in 1806.
They supplied for some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. Simultaneously they were commissioned to produce furniture for many of the Irish country hoses, such as Ballynegall, Co.Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.
See Knight of Glin, Dublin Directories and Trade Labels, Furniture History, 1985 and A. Alexander, The Dublin Cabinet-Makers in the early Nineteenth Century: Furnishing with Style, Irish Furniture, The Furniture History Society.